By: Marcus Ringdahl, Vice President, Global P&G Chemicals
These have been unprecedented times for our industry, communities, and families. As we enter year 2 of the global pandemic, P&G remains focused on:
• Ensuring the health and safety of all P&G employees around the world
• Maximizing the availability of products that help people and their families with their cleaning, health, and hygiene needs
• Supporting communities, relief agencies, and people who are on the front lines of this global pandemic
For P&G Chemicals and our external business partners, there are signs of broad industrial resurgence. The below investments P&G Chemicals is making in the near term will enable greater responsiveness and agility for our customers’ long-term success:
• Strengthening our Oleochemical Network Resilience to better serve our customers – With global supply chains stretched, local production facilities and storage have been key to reliable supply. We strengthened our regional production operations and expanded product portfolios to better respond to local customer requests.
• Continued prioritization and focus on Citizenship – Our Palm Smallholders Program and WWF-Malaysia partnership reasserts our commitment to the responsible sourcing of palm oil and to being a positive force for the communities and environments where palm oil is cultivated. Furthermore, all our manufacturing sites qualified to have zero waste going to landfill this past year. Our Citizenship efforts will continue to be a focus for years to come.
• Expanding our digital reach to our external business partners and increasing our cyber security – Over the past year, P&G Chemicals increased our digital presence through LinkedIn and WeChat. We also refreshed our website to make it easier to connect with us and enhanced video conferencing to allow for regular meetings while unable to travel. We do this with vigilance, recognizing our digital connectivity must remain secure.
Effective May 1, I will be moving to a new position as the Senior Vice President of Purchasing for P&G Beauty. My sincere thanks for your support during my time in P&G Chemicals! It has been my honor and pleasure to service your business. I look forward to working with many of you in my new position. My replacement is Mr. Harish Harlani, who comes with a wealth of experience from the oleochemical industry. It is my pleasure to introduce Mr. Harlani as my successor and I wish you, our partners, and P&G Chemicals continued success.
The oil industry continues to be in flux, with some oils nearing their tipping point in terms of an upcoming fall in prices.
Asia Market Update
There has been growth in e-commerce among consumers in the Asia market, along with a recovery of industrial demand, continuing the pressure on delivery times.